2.8.12

PCRL's Asian Connection


 Inram, Popli and Bash form P.C.R.L'S young and Enthusiastic Asian unit 

 INRAM: 
Inram is 22 and came from Pakistan in May 1977. He has always had a burning ambition to have a career which involves music. " I have always listened to music and watched - many Asian films. When ­I heard Asian D.J. 's on  the radio, I thought they where very good, but felt that the job could be done a little better".
Imran told us; 'With no previous Broadcasting experience he joined P.C.R.L. in the summer of 1987.
At first he helped the Asian presenter at the time, Smoothe Operator, present a weekly two hour programme. " Soon after I joined, Smoothe Operator left to have a baby and I was left on my own. Because of my love for other types of music, I was given an additional two hours for a more general programme in which I mixed Funk & Asian. I feel that this helped the progression of the now popular Bangra Style. This is a mixing of western Funk and Traditional Asian popular music".
In his spare time, music plays a large part. "At present I'm learning to play the guitar and drums. My other pastimes include fast cars and although not very good, I love a good game of cricket.
I generally like to keep fit but at present, all I live for is a better Radio Service for my community".
As P. C.R.L. grew more and more popular amongst the Asian community, so inevitably the team grew and two more presenters were taken on board.




 POPLI: 
Popli is in her early twenties and comes originally from Bangledesh, she's a trained social worker 7 and advise worker and is mainly involved in the community and current affairs as they effect Asian people. Her lively and pleasant style of presentation has made Popli a popular choice amongst her Asian listeners.



 BASH: 
Bash is a shy, but hard working, positive and ambitious person. He caters mainty for the over thirties within the Asian community and has at his finger tips a wealth of knowledge second to none regarding the older styles of Asian music. He is a keen sportsman and especially loves the Martial Arts.
The P.C.R.L. Asian Unit has made a lasting impression on Asian Business and The Community at Large. They have done much to improve general understanding of Western, Carribean & Eastern Cultures in the two years.

Imran and his Team have made P C.R.L. a household name amongst the Asian community 'We will have at least 14 hours a week. Business people are keen to advertise with us because they feel that at last we have something of our own. (Written in 1987)

No comments:

Post a Comment